Process for Application for International Students
- Complete the application online. If you have not signed up for the
online application system, please sign up here.
Note: You must pay an application fee by credit card in order for your application to be processed.
- Scan and upload the necessary documentation.
- A scanned copy of the first page of the student’s passport, indicating legal name and date of birth
- Scanned copies of translated transcripts from the current and previous two years of study. Please also include the most recent report card with teacher comments.
- Immunization records
Letter of Intent for grades 8 to 12
Note: These scanned copies are acceptable but the original documents must be brought to the intake appointment.
- Students in Grade 8 -12 are required to complete an online English assessment before being accepted to the HDSB International Student Program. All students need their own email address to receive an PIN to log into the secure online assessment site. Students should ensure they have a strong internet connection, a quiet place, and adequate time to complete the assessment. Students will also be contacted to complete a brief online oral interview. Students are expected to complete the assessment themselves.
- Once we receive the results of the online assessment and the application has been accepted, an invoice for the tuition and insurance will be issued. Failure to provide payment will result in the student acceptance being withdrawn. The invoice must be paid in full prior to the letter of acceptance (LOA) being issued by the School Board. Please see
Fees and Payment for specific information on making payments. Failure to provide payment within thirty 30 days will result in the application being withdrawn.
- After the Letter of Acceptance is issued, the letter will need to be taken to the Immigration Office in the home country to obtain a Study Permit. If the medical information is submitted with the Letter of Acceptance to the Immigration Office, it will help to speed up the process of obtaining the Study Permit. Students are required to complete biometrics in order to obtain a study permit. Students will receive their study permit once they have been processed through Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) at the point of entry.
- Custodianship will be arranged through
Canada Homestay Network.
- Students should book their flight to arrive two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. This allows sufficient time for orientation, the English language assessment, and course selection. This is important if the student wishes to begin classes on the first day of the semester.
The student or agent will provide the School Board with their flight arrival information in order to arrange an appointment at the Welcome Centre.
- At the intake appointment, students will complete the
HDSB registration form, submit original documentation, and complete the
English and Math assessments.
You must bring the originals of:
- Study Permit
- Identification of parent/guardian or custodian
- Notarized custodianship documents (if applicable)
- Immunization records
- Proof of address of where student will be staying (Any two of the following documents: lease or deed, car registration, utility bill, residential telephone bill, moving bill, property tax bill, bank statement, credit card statement, correspondence with a government agency)
- Canada Homestay Network homestay information form.
- Original academic transcripts with updated marks