About the Boundary Review
As part of the two (2) most recent Capital Priorities Grant submissions to the Ministry of Education, the Board was successful in obtaining funding for two (2) elementary schools in the Town of Milton, namely the Milton SW #11 and Milton SW #12 public schools. Both proposed schools are located in the Boyne Secondary Plan area, South of Louis St. Laurent.
Milton #11 PS is planned to open for January 2022 at the earliest
Milton #12 PS is planned to open for September 2022 at the earliest
On October 21, 2020, the Board of Trustees approved staff recommendation to commence a school boundary review for both facilities, and to include areas are within the Elementary Review Areas (ERA) 120, 121, and 127, and the other affected rural areas.
Schools that may be included as part of the review are as follows:
- Anne J. MacArthur PS
- Boyne PS
- Chris Hadfield PS (holding area south of Louis St. Laurent.)
- E.W. Foster PS (rural areas)
- Hawthorne Village PS
- Irma Coulson PS
- P.L. Robertson PS
- Sam Sherratt PS (the area south of Louis St. Laurent and rural areas)
- Tiger Jeet Singh PS
- Viola Desmond PS
- W.I. Dick PS (rural areas)
The Boundary Review Committee and the process is expected to be established and start in January 2021 and be completed by June 2021.
It should be noted that:
- The ultimate elementary school boundaries will have consideration of the approved secondary school boundaries as part of the Milton SW #1 HS Boundary Review approved by Trustees as part of report 20102 (LINK), to ensure cohorts remain together.
- Note that although the Boundary Review process may be completed by June 2021, it is anticipated that the transition plans will not be fully implemented until the affected school is open and ready to accommodate students. Where possible holding situations will be avoided.
Boundary Review Committee (BRC)
The Boundary Review Committee (BRC) will consist of the following members:
- A non-affected Superintendent and a non-affected Trustee will jointly chair the Boundary Review Committee
- All members of the Steering Committee (for more information see School Boundary Administrative Procedure)
- Parent representatives from all affected communities
Principals of affected schools are not on the Committee but may be called upon to verify information as required.
The BRC is mandated to examine boundary options and to provide feedback. A preferred option(s) will be developed and recommended to the Boundary Review Steering Committee.