Please read the information below carefully and contact email@example.com if you have questions. Please note* if you and your family are permanent residents or on a work permit, you need to contact the HDSB Welcome Centre. Please review our Application Procedure to find out how to start your application.
Apply Now: International Student Program
At HDSB, we want all our students to be successful. Placement in a HDSB elementary and/or secondary school is based on the evaluation of the student’s academic standing, initial assessment results and the availability of space.
Students must meet these Admission Criteria:
- International students applying must have a minimum academic average of 70% in core academic subjects such as English and math. We required notarized translated transcripts and the most recent report card with teacher comments.
- Secondary students who have graduated from high school (or equivalent) in their homeland are not eligible to apply to HDSB.
- Only students who are 18 years old and under before December 31 of the school year in which they are applying are eligible to attend HDSB.
And must agree to the following conditions below:
ISP Policy Highlights
- All elementary students (including Grade 8) must live with one of their parents (a mother or father). Failure to have a parent live with the student will result in the student being sent home.
- The Halton District School Board requires all International students to remain at the same school until graduation. This policy intends to increase student stability by eliminating further transitions and by supporting stronger relationships between students, school staff, and homestays. If students have concerns about their school, the International Student Program is happy to help find a solution without changing the school. As a result, no school transfers will be permitted.
In Ontario, the secondary school year is divided into two (2) semesters:
- Semester 1 - September to January
- Semester 2 - February to June
- Semesters 1 and 2 (full year) - March 21
- Semester 2 (February admission) - November 30
Please contact us if you have questions about becoming an international student in Halton.
Halton District School Board
International Student Program
HDSB Welcome Centre
215 Ontario Street South
Tel: 905-335-3665, ext 3435
Toll free: 1-877-618-3456