COVID-19 has certainly changed the ways we operate. HDSB is committed to keeping students safe. We are not sure how things will be in September 2022. All families and students should monitor HDSB, and national and provincial websites for
up-to-date information regarding vaccine requirements and COVID protocols.
Students will need to submit both a photograph of themself and a completed Letter of Intent. Also, vaccination records are required as part of the application. Applications without a photo, a letter of intent, and vaccination records will not be processed.
Students entering grade 8 will need to complete the online Pre-Arrival English Assessment and Orientation package. Students will need their own email in order to complete the assessment and orientation. Elementary schools offered to grade 8s will reflect the student’s language proficiency and the expected secondary school assignment. Incoming international students need to complete an online English assessment. This is a comprehensive assessment that includes reading, listening, and a written passage. The online assessment is part of a “Pre-Arrival Learning” (PAL) Program that students can work through before they arrive in Canada. PAL includes a detailed orientation that covers life in Canada, how to live in a homestay, the education system in Ontario, and mental wellness. PAL also offers vocabulary exercises for subject specific subjects such as math and science. With PAL, our goal is students will arrive better prepared and ready to learn from the first day!
HDSB uses Western Union Global Pay to process all international payments and direct pay from approved Canadian financial institutions. Payments made through other companies such as Motion Pay will not be accepted and this will delay the processing of your application.
Halton District School Board is continuing its partnership with the
Canada Homestay Network to manage homestays and
StudyInsured to facilitate health insurance for all international students. All new students are expected to use Canada Homestay Network for their custodian and homestay services.
- A credit card is necessary to pay the application fee and complete the application.
- Secondary students must complete an online English assessment and orientation and have their own email address. Students will be contacted through this email to set up a brief “Welcome Interview”.
- Students 12 (students born in 2005) need to submit an IELTS result of at least 5.5 (or equivalent).
- HDSB health insurance is mandatory and will be charged with the school tuition fees.
- Please see the admission criteria for detailed information for the International Student Program.