One commitment to Truth & Reconciliation is
Acknowledging the Land and Territory of Indigenous peoples in the Halton Region.
Acknowledgement of the Land and Territory
First Nation, Métis and Inuit Education
The Ministry of Education provides funds and support to Ontario school boards with the
goal of improving the learning environment and educational outcomes for Indigenous students.
The Halton District School Board is committed to:
- Promoting awareness and understanding of First Nations, Métis and Inuit history, culture, language and perspectives.
- Fostering and promoting of Voluntary and confidential Indigenous/Aboriginal Student Self-Identification.
- Implementing culturally responsive student success initiatives that best serve the needs of our Indigenous/Aboriginal student population.
- Supporting teachers to provide Indigenous/Aboriginal perspectives through cross culture activities.
- Achieving a goal that all students have the knowledge and appreciation of contemporary and traditional First Nations, Métis, and Inuit cultures, histories, and perspectives.
Education is a priority in improving lifelong opportunities for Indigenous/Aboriginal children and youth. Acting on this priority the Ministry of Education has identified Indigenous/Aboriginal Education as a way to address two primary challenges:
- Improve student achievement.
- Close the gaps between Indigenous/Aboriginal and non‐Indigenous/Aboriginal students in the areas of literacy, retention of students in school, graduation rates and advancement to post‐secondary studies.
The Halton District School Board looks forward to the upward trend of Indigenous/Aboriginal students and families choosing to voluntarily and confidentially self-identify their children. With this information the Board can implement culturally responsive student success initiatives that best serve the needs of indigenous students in our Board.
Superintendent of Education - Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion, Indigenous Rights and Education
System Principal of Indigenous Rights & Education