Psychological Services is part of the Special Services Team within the Halton District School Board. Staff consist of Psycho-educational Consultants, all of whom hold postgraduate degrees. Psycho-educational Consultants follow the Standards and Ethical Guidelines of the College of Psychologists of Ontario and are either registered with the College or supervised by a member of the College.
Psychology staff participate as members of School Resource Teams which are established to assist schools and families in addressing the needs of all students. Psychology staff offer comprehensive assessment and consultation services to teachers, students and families with respect to the cognitive, academic and social/emotional well-being of students. They evaluate learning and emotional/behavioural strengths and needs of individual students through:
- classroom observations
- review of school records
- informal measures and task analysis
- standardized assessment measures
- interviews with parents, students, school personnel and other agencies
Assessment findings are used to develop program modifications/accommodations and strategies.
Our focus is an integrated understanding of the whole child.
School psychological consultation with parents can help:
- to obtain relevant family background information to assist the student in school
- parents understand their children's learning, social/emotional and behavioural needs
- to assist in the understanding of mental health disorders
- to develop and implement strategies to be used at home
- to advise and recommend appropriate Board and community resources/support services
Psychological consultation with educators can help:
- to identify the student's strengths and needs
- to develop and implement strategies and program modifications which address the needs of students experiencing learning, social, emotional and behavioural difficulties
- to facilitate referrals for additional support
Referrals are typically made through regularly scheduled School Resource Team meetings.
Once the decision is made for direct Psychological Services involvement, consent is obtained from the parent/guardian if the student is under 18 years of age.
Student Services Department
New Street Education Centre
3250 New Street
Burlington, Ontario L7N 1M8