Dear HDSB families,
We are writing to share our plans to safely reopen schools in September. The plan can be viewed on the
HDSB Reopening Schools webpage at
The Halton District School Board’s Reopening Schools Plan will outline the measures we will be following for the safety and well-being of our students and staff. The plan is extensive and we encourage you to review the information.
This plan has been developed in consultation with
Halton Region Public Health and adheres to the Ministry of Education’s
Guide to Reopening Ontario’s Schools.
With this knowledge, parents/guardians are required to confirm via survey linked below:
Intent to return to school
Parents/guardians (and students over 18 years of age) must indicate whether your child(ren) will be attending school in-person in September. Please be prepared to commit to this decision for the duration of Semester 1/Term 1 (end of January).
Families have the choice to participate in:
- In-Person Learning (full return model for elementary or adaptive model for secondary) or
- Full Distance (online) Learning
Intent to take the school bus
Families of students will be asked to indicate for each child:
- Yes, my child qualifies and will use transportation
- Yes, my child qualifies and will not use transportation
- No, my child does not qualify for transportation
Note: The use of non-medical masks for students in Grades 4 to 12 will be required on school vehicles. Students in Kindergarten to Grade 3 will be encouraged but not required to wear masks on student transportation.
- Daily Self-Assessment and Screening Requirements
All parents/guardians who choose to send their child(ren) to school in September are required to acknowledge the guidelines for:
- Monitoring your child DAILY for COVID symptoms.
- Completing the Ontario COVID-19 Self-Assessment (Daily Self-Assessment) BEFORE coming to school each day.
- Contacting the school if your child has any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Developing a plan to pick up your child(ren) from school promptly if they are presenting with a COVID-like symptom(s) while at school.
Intent to Return Survey
must be completed by Aug 17.
I know that you each must decide if sending your child back to school is the right decision for your family. We will have full distance learning plans for those of you who do not feel comfortable sending your children back. We understand this. This plan is designed to offer you the information you need to make that decision. We believe that information breeds confidence. After reviewing our plan to reopen schools, I hope you conclude, as I have, that our schools will offer a safe, inclusive and engaging learning environment that will inspire your child to new learning and achievement!
If you have questions, we encourage you to view our list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). If your question is not covered in the FAQs, direct it to
Director of Education
Translations of Reopening Schools Plan - Letter to Families