What is SHSM?
The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) program allows high school students to focus their learning on a specific economic sector where they gain sector-specific skills.
Why Take SHSM at your high school?
The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) is a specialized program approved by the Ministry of Education that allows students to focus their learning on a specific economic sector while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
These programs enable students to gain sector-specific skills and knowledge in engaging, career-related learning environments, and prepare in a focused way for graduation and postsecondary education, training or employment.
5 SHSM Program Components
Together, these requirements provide the curriculum-based and experiential learning experiences for making a successful transition to a student’s chosen pathway.
- Bundle of Gr. 11 & 12 Courses
- Reach Ahead Opportunities
- Cooperative Education
- Sector Specific Partnered Experiences in Math, Coding or ICE (Innovation, Creativity & Entrepreneurship)
Key Benefits for Students
Pursuing a SHSM enables students to:
- Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents
- Develop specialized knowledge and skills that are valued by the sector and postsecondary education institutions
- Earn credits that are recognized by the sector and postsecondary education institutions
- Acquire sector-specific and career-relevant certification and training
- Gain confidence in their knowledge of the SHSM Sector
- Identify, explore and refine their career goals and make informed decisions about their postsecondary destination
- Remain flexible, with the option to shift between pathways
Learn more about Speciality High Skills Major Programs through Halton Pathways .